Vicarage ParkCofE Primary School


Please find the following key documents below:

  • SEND Policy  
  • Annual Report for SEND 

To see Cumbria County Council SEND advice pages. Click here.


If you would like a copy of any of these documents in a different format, or wish for a printed version, please contact the school office.


Local Offer

We hope that the following information is helpful in understanding who we are and how we provide SEN support.

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think a child may have special educational needs?

We pride ourselves on close relationships with parents. Class teachers know to raise concerns and have discussions with parents and relevant colleagues where necessary. All staff are aware of expected development at different ages and are supported in identifying additional / special educational needs (SEN).

If you have a concern about your child’s development please raise this with the class teacher in the first instance.

How will school staff support my child?

Class teachers are responsible for the education of all the children in their class. They plan the education programme for children who have or may have SEN with support from the school’s Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCO). Where appropriate, children may be supported by an additional adult. For example, this support could be in class; in a small group outside the class or one-to-one.

The school has a nominated governor for Special Educational Needs who reports directly to the governing body.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

High quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils, is the first step in responding to pupils who have or may have SEN. Additional intervention and support may be appropriate in some cases.

This will enable your child to access the full curriculum.

How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

In addition to the school’s normal reporting arrangements, we also have an “open door” policy to enable more informal and frequent conversations with you and your child.

The progress of each child is carefully monitored and tracked on a regular basis. This, along with other information gathered informs staff on the next steps for your child.

Progress and targets are discussed as part of the school’s normal reporting arrangements.

In some cases, your child may require an individual support plan or behaviour management plan which will be drawn up in consultation with you and your child and reviewed regularly. For some children with profound and lifelong needs an Education Health and Care Assessment may be requested with advice and support from external agencies.

Where appropriate we signpost parents to relevant agencies within the community who can offer further support to you and your child. Follow the link on the main page to view the Cumbria Local Offer.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

A wide range of small group interventions are used to support the wellbeing of children with SEN and to promote positive behaviour. For example, nurture groups, circle time and Social Use of Language Programme.

The school follows statutory guidance in the administration of medicines and provision of personal care.

Further information can be found in the relevant policies on our website as well as from the school office.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

There is a wealth of experience and expertise in the school staff as well as access to external agencies through referrals, for example, to the school nurse, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, Barnado’s, educational psychologists and specialist advisory teachers.

There is also the Early Help Assessment process.

The school has two platform lifts and ramped access on all doors.

What training is the staff receiving or have completed to support children with SEN?

Staff share expertise through collaborative training opportunities in school and within the local Kendal schools group as well as accessing local and national training. Individual staff development needs are identified and met as part of the formal appraisal process.

How accessible is the school environment?

Please refer to the school’s access plan.

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

We have strong links with local nurseries and secondary schools and with other local primary schools.

Yearly transitions within school are carefully managed to support children’s wellbeing.

A range of transition strategies are put in place to support children at the end of key phases – e.g. transition plans, extra visits, holiday activities.

Where possible new schools are invited to attend transition meetings to share information about your child and to ensure a positive transition. In all cases there will be liaison and communication between the schools.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

We aim to allocate resources appropriately to meet the needs of all children with special educational needs.

Most children with short term difficulties have their needs met from resources provided by the school. Some children’s needs are met through an Education Health Care Plan with additional resources provided by the Local Authority.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

The decisions about the type of support your child needs will be based on discussions between all interested parties including you as a parent. The amount and type of support will be reviewed on a regular basis against the progress your child has made.







Files to Download

Where Are We

Vicarage Park C of E Primary School

Vicarage Drive,